Dine Below the Line at Macquarie Uni
What is ‘Dine Below the Line’ with local, fresh produce!
Macquarie University students want to raise awareness about poverty and sustainable food systems. A group do this by hosting or participating in a ‘Dine Below the Line’ event. At these events they learn heaps, meet new people with similar interest in eradicating global poverty but also help raise funds to feed those less fortunate than them.
Library Charity Lunch
The Macquarie student group hosted a youth-led anti-poverty NGO Oaktree ‘Dine Below the Line’ meal event at $2 a head using fresh local produce from Harvest Hub.
“We enjoyed some delicious ratatouille pasta and pumpkin and spinach salad, with ingredients supplied by food social enterprise Harvest Hub. Ingredients cost us just $20 – bringing us to less than $2 a head for the lunch.
In total, we raised $319.28 – more than double our target!! This money will provide much needed funds for anti-poverty NGO Oaktree’s initiatives.”
Roasted pumpkin salad
- 3 Brown onions, sliced
- 800gms Eggplant, cubed (not skinned)
- 800gms Green capsicum , seeded & cut
- 800gms Zucchini, sliced
- 3kg Cooking tomatoes, roughly cut
- 4-5 Garlic cloves (crushed)
- Seasoning (salt & pepper)
- Dried herbs (e.g. rosemary, thyme, oregano)
- 30ml Olive oil
- ½ bunch Basil leaves
- Water or stock as needed
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil over low heat, stirring regularly, for 10 mins or until translucent.
- Add the eggplant, capsicum and zucchini and sauté for a further 10 mins, stirring regularly.
- Add the cooking tomatoes. garlic, seasoning and dried herbs, stir to mix the ingredients, and cook on medium heat until it bubbles. Reduce heat, add lid and slowly cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Check if the mixture has enough liquid, and add water or stock if needed.
- Cook for another 5-10 minutes or until cooked al dente (i.e. retain some texture – don’t let it go to mush).
- Before serving, shred the basil leaves and stir into the ratatouille.
- Serve with fettucine and a salad.
- 3kg Butternut pumpkin, skinned, seeded and roughly cut
- 1 Spanish Onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 500gms Baby spinach leaves, washed and well-drained
- Salt, pepper, vinegar & oil
- Pre-heat grill to High
- In a large bowl, mix pumpkin pieces with salt, pepper and olive oil. Spread on baking tray and place in oven, about 5-10 cm below the hot grill. The idea is to blacken part of the pumpkin without over-cooking.
- After 10 minutes, turn the pumpkin pieces and put back under the grill. From this point, watch carefully to not over-cook the pumpkin. Remember, they will continue to cook for several minutes after you take them out of the oven.
- Let the pumpkin cool down to lukewarm, and then mix with baby spinach leaves in a serving bowl.
- At the last minute, sprinkle with dressing of olive oil and balsamic vinegar (or serve separately). Alternatively, you can make a dressing of soy sauce, white vinegar, sugar and chilli.
- Bon appetite!