Help in a small way at Christmas
Let’s help the Salvos give the people of Ivanhoe a great Christmas
Read about The Ivanhoe story….read more
Ivanhoe is a Housing Estate with around 600 people – one of the largest in Sydney. It has had a chequered past, with “with high rates of crime, violence, property damage and drug related crime”. It’s located near Macquarie University – on our back doorstep.
That all began to change with the Salvos moving in in 2001. They have worked tirelessly to rebuild the community, and although many residents are still doing it tough, there is a strong sense of community spirit.
Over the past few months, Harvest Hub has been delivering excess produce to Ivanhoe twice a week. Nathan and Karen Moulds from the Salvos, who live on the estate, put out tables, we put on the fruit and veg, and within a couple of hours it’s gone!
Every year, the neighbouring Macquarie University is putting on a jolly good Christmas dinner for the residents of Ivanhoe. Overseen by Executive Chef Peter Brewty and cooked in the University’s commercial kitchens, the meal has become an institution.
And this year, Harvest Hub is joining forces – by supplying the fresh produce to Peter’s team at no cost, but also by raising funds to buy toys for the many children in Ivanhoe. And we’d love you to help!
How can you help?
You can help by doing one or more of the following:
- Make a straight donation through the normal Harvest Hub order page. Under the Weekly Specials, as well as under the Community section (bottom of the order page)
- Donate your bag in the week(s) you’re away. Rather than cancelling your order, leave it in place and send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know you’d like to donate the order. Your order will not be packed and delivered – but rather, the order value is used to fund the Christmas Eve dinner and kid’s toys
- Buy a real Duffy’s Forest Christmas tree (home delivered w/c 8 December), and $5 of the purchase price will be donated to Salvos Ivanhoe
- Buy a Christmas Ham, Turkey or Tiger Prawns (for delivery w/c 22 December to your Hub), and $2.50 of the purchase price will be donated to Salvos Ivanhoe
- Spend $60 or more for your Christmas order (w/c 22 December), and 2.5% of the total order will be donated to Salvos Ivanhoe.
Remember, Harvest Hub will continue deliveries during the Christmas and New Year weeks, but all deliveries will be compressed into Tuesday and Wednesday of both weeks. More information about changed order and pick-up days/times will be made available next week.
And don’t forget: 2.5% of every dollar you spend with Harvest Hub between 24 November and 20 December will be credited against your Christmas order. For example, if you spend on average $75 per week over the 4 weeks leading up to Christmas, we’ll credit your Christmas order by $7.50. This will be done automatically.