Kale – an amazing tale.
There is a farmer in Horsley Park who sits each year and thinks, “What can I bring to the market that our Sydney folk haven’t seen in a while or may have never seen?”
…and so started the Grima Tales of long long ago andnow three generation of the Grima family continue this ‘think tank’ each year. A number of years ago kale had hardly been heard of and so they brought it to the Sydney folks. In their Viking like truck they brought it to market to see if anyone would buy it and cook it. Well, like all good tales it has a happy ending.
There are two types now available – the large Kale and Tuscan Kale which is softer leaved and good for stir fries.
This week we have the larger Kale from Horsley Park and this is what you can do with it.
- 40gm butter
- 40gm olive oil
- 2 onions shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3-4 kale leaves, any tough stems removed
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 30gm currants
- 50gm toasted pine nuts
- ½ tsp lemon zest, finely chopped
- 125g light sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C fan forced.
- See pastry recipe below.
- Line a tart tin with pastry, prick base and chill for 10 minutes. Line the pastry with baking paper, cover with dried beans and blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove beans and paper and cook for a further 10 minutes, allow to cool. Reduce the oven to 160C fan forced.
- Meanwhile heat olive oil and butter in a large frying pan, cook shallots and garlic until soft, then set aside. In the same pan cook the kale until wilted, then deglaze with verjuice.
- In a food processor combine cooked shallots and half the cooked kale to a puree.
- In a large bowl combine kale puree with remaining cooked kale, currants, pine nuts and lemon, stirring until well combined. In a small jug whisk together the cream, eggs, salt and pepper. Add to the kale mixture, stirring to combine. Pour the kale mixture into the prepared pastry case and bake in prepared oven for 35-40 minutes. Serve.
- To make Flaky Pastry - Sour cream flaky pastry
- • 125 g plain flour
- • 100 g unsalted & chilled butter
- • 60 ml sour cream
- Chop all the butter into small cubes. Weigh flour and put into mixer. Blend flour and butter until it resembles a large breadcrumb consistency. Add sour cream gradually.
- Turn onto a floured bench and pull together with your hands into a rectangle shape. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 20 minutes before rolling out and lining your tin.
- Blind bake at 200C for 12 minutes (put baking paper on top cover with rice). Remove the paper and weights and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- NOTE: Check consistency before adding all of the sour cream and do not add all if it is not needed. When lining the tin, have the pastry come up high as the pastry will shrink.