PISTACHIOS – Fresh UNROASTED
Unshelled pistachios should be split open, and any that are not split should be discarded. The reddish skin should be removed before roasting. The method requires only two ingredients: raw, dried pistachio nuts and salt if desired.
- For salted nuts, a brine should be prepared by stirring salt into as much water as required to submerge the nuts. The water should be saturated with as much salt as will dissolve into it. The dried, raw pistachio nuts should be dropped briefly into the brine solution.
- Spread the nuts in a single layer onto a baking sheet.
- Roast them in the oven at 200 Fahrenheit.
- Check the nuts after 15 minutes – they should take about 20 minutes in total.
- The nuts are done when they are fully dried but not overcooked.
Pistachios are a good source of iron, protein, vitamin 6, thiamine and dietary fiber. They are also a good source of unsaturated fats. One cup of shelled pistachios yields approximately 1/2 cup of shelled nuts
Origin: Western NSW
- Fresh Pistachios 250gms
- To prepare:
- • Remove the soft outer skin from the pistachios
- • Preheat oven to 120C
- • Add 60-80g of salt to 125ml of water (1/2 cup) in a deep saucepan and boil over high heat until all salt is dissolved
- • Add about 8 to 10 cups of pistachios and stir until all water has evaporated and salt is deposited on the nuts.
- Spread nuts on baking paper in the preheated oven and roast 1½ hours. Stir every 30 minutes. When done, put the baking paper with pistachios on a cooling rack to stop them from cooking.