With or without eggplant.
- 2 eggplant, peeled and sliced into rounds (optional)
- 2 zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 2 capsicum, seeded and sliced
- 1 tin tomatoes or 4 tomatoes quartered
- 3 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme or tsp of thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
The secret for this recipe is – Don’t overcook vegetables. They should be crispy rather than mushy.
Heat oil in a fry pan and when hot add the onion and stir until golden brown. Turn to medium heat and add the tomatoes followed by the peppers. Cover the pan with the lid, and let the vegetables cook slowly for about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini. Look to see if the ratatouille is moist but not wet and decide whether the lid should go on again or some of the water needs to evaporate. Add pepper and salt to taste. Serve with mash potato.