Red Cabbage Recipes
Red Cabbage Rolls
Red Cabbage with Mushrooms
Mandarins Wilted Red cabbage salad
- 8 large red cabbage leaves
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 tbs raisins
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tbs chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 tbs chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
- Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a large pot. Add cabbage leaves and cover. After 5 minutes reduce heat to medium and simmer until softened, about 5 minutes more.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from the heat and rest for 5 minutes and transfer to a large bowl to cool. Transfer the cabbage leaves to a clean work surface to cool.
- Heat oil in the frypan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until aromatic, 2 mins. Add tomatoes, raisins, cinnamon and 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are broken down, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile stir feta, chopped olives and 2 tablespoons mint into the couscous. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the couscous mixture at the stem end of each cabbage leaf and roll into a bundle, tucking in the sides at the last. Add the cabbage rolls seam-side down. Cover and cook until the rolls are hot all the way through and the cabbage is very tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve the cabbage rolls topped with the sauce. Garnish with mint, if desired.
Red Cabbage with Mushrooms and Mandarins
Serves: 4 – 6
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (1/2 a medium head)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbs. minced parsley
- 1-2 mandarins, peeled and sectioned
- Sauté the onions in 2 tbs butter and the olive oil (or bacon fat), lightly seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper, until the onions are golden. Stir in the cabbage and red wine, lightly season again with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and toss to evenly distribute the ingredients. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the cabbage is tender.
- While the cabbage is cooking, sauté the mushrooms, lightly seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper, in 2 tbs butter in a hot pan. Cook the mushrooms in 2 batches to ensure they brown nicely and retain their liquid (if you put too many mushrooms in the pan at one time, they release their juices and stew rather than brown). When the mushrooms are done, toss them with garlic and parsley.
- When the cabbage is done to your liking, stir in the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Place mandarin sections on top as this gives it a sweet and sour flavour. Taste and add salt or freshly ground black pepper, as needed. Serve.
Wilted Red cabbage salad
- 1/2 red cabbage, shredded
- 1/8 cup sherry or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1/2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
- In a fry pan, heat the olive and saute the onion until translucent. Add the garlic followed by the shredded cabbage. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add the sugar (optional). Toss well and saute until slightly wilted.
- Add the vinegar, reduce the flame to medium, cover and cook for about 25 minutes until the cabbage is tender, but still has a bite to it. Five minutes before the dish is ready, add the mustard and toss well. Serve warm.