Remove the leaves (they’re mildly toxic, so DON’T feed to the rabbit or chooks!) and cut the stalks, then boil for about 7-8 minutes in a little water. Add sugar to taste.
Lentil and Rhubarb Stew With Indian Spices
Recipe Type: Stew
- 3 or 4 stalks rhubarb, strings removed, chopped
- 1 cup orange lentils, well washed
- 2 tbs minced ginger
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 tbs mustard seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 dried mild chili, optional
- Chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
- Combine all ingredients except salt and cilantro in a saucepan and add water to cover by about 1 inch. Cook at a steady simmer until lentils and rhubarb are quite soft, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove cloves and, if you like, cardamom pods. Add salt, then taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Rhubarb Orange Tart
Recipe Type: Pastry
- 3 slices frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 orange
- 1 cup orange juice
- splash lemon juice
- 1 tbs sugar
- pinch cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbs almond flour
- 2 stalks rhubarb
- Preheat the oven to 220 C.
- Pour the orange juice into a small saucepan. Add the corn starch and mix well. Add the sugar and cinnamon and stir well. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil, stirring, until it becomes clear ad thick. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Thaw the 3 slices of puff pastry .Slice 1 into 8 thin strips to make the extra edges on the other two pastries. Wet the edge of all four edges of each puff pastry and lay the strips on each edge s that there is a slight rim on each pastry. Prick the center part of the bottom with a fork s that that part does not raise. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the orange sauce carefully onto the center bottom of each pastry. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of almond flour on the orange sauce and spread on the bottom of the puff pastry evenly.
- Clean the rhubarb and slice in thin slices. Lay the rhubarb slices onto the almond orange sauce. Lightly wet the rim of each pastry ad sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar over the pastry- rhubarb and edging. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve the pastries with some orange sauce on top, and a slice of orange on the side.
Recipe Type: Soup
- 2 stem rhubarb, chopped
- 4 tbs red wine vinegar
- 100gcaster sugar
- 300g water
- Greek-style yoghurt or mascarpone, to serve
- Place the rhubarb in a bowl with two tablespoons water and cook in the microwave for 3-4 minutes to soften.
- In a pan, heat the red wine vinegar with the caster sugar and water. Bring to the boil and stir in the rhubarb. Serve with Greek yoghurt or a scoop of mascarpone cheese.