Asparagus in a damp paper towel into container and into the fridge. They are low breathers and like a closed environment. The other way to keep them is in a glass of water just covering the base with a bag over them in the fridge.
Trim the bottoms before cooking.
Saucy Steamed Asparagus
Asparagus and Chicken Crepes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
- Pepper to taste
- Combine olive oil, honey, Dijon mustard lemon juice and pepper.Steam asparagus spears – crisp.
- Drizzle sauce over steamed fresh asparagus.
- 8 asparagus stalks
- 4 rashers bacon, coarsely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 sprigs of fresh parsley, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Cut off the tough ends of the asparagus stalks. Peel the asparagus. Boil the asparagus in salted water for 5 minutes. Drain and let cool. Chop each stalk into 10cm pieces.
- Saute the bacon in a nonstick frying pan till crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
- Combine the eggs, milk, cream, and half of the parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat Pour the egg mixture in a pie plate 3-4cm deep. Sprinkle in the asparagus and bacon. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, till the custard is set but not dried out. Serve immediately, decorated with the rest of the parsley.
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup cut fresh asparagus
- 1/3 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- [b]To make crepe batter:[/b]
- Beat eggs and milk in a small mixing bowl. Combine flour and sugar to blend together, then add to egg mixture. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased fry-pan and pour 3 tablespoons batter into the center. Lift and tilt pan to spread batter thinly and to evenly coat the bottom of the pan. evenness is your goal. Cook until top appears dry, then turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper between each crepe.
- In a small bowl, combine the soup, Worcestershire sauce and nutmeg. Set aside 1/4 cup. Stir the chicken, asparagus and ham into the 3/4 cup soup mixture. Spoon 2 tablespoonfuls over each crepe, and roll up tightly. Place seam side down in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Spoon reserved soup mixture over crepes. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20-25 minutes. Gradually fold cream into mayonnaise. Spread over crepes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.