Broad beans which you’ll find in some recipes known as Fava Beans. This week grown by Kazzie in Picton. They are young, early in season, so should not need peeling the bean inside the pod. Map showing picton bottom left.
Note: This week they are young you can eat the POD & Beans. These are soooo good for you and just 1 cup of beans with pods provide a quarter of your daily protein needs.
A method to get the beans out of the pods. In a pan of boiling water and cook for 3 minutes, drain, put cold water over them, drain, then take pods and slit them on side seam. Run your thumb along the inside pushing the beans out.
Eat them as soon as is possible. If need to store put into a paperbag and into fridge in a dry spot no more than 4 days. Keep them away from heavy breathers in the fridge producing high ethylene ie broccoli, spinach, corn and even artichokes if you have some of these left.
Take beans out of pods. Blanch by plunging the beans into boiling water 1 minute then into a colander with cold water running over them. Dry. On a small tray that fits into freezer layout Baking paper. Lay out beans and freeze. Then when frozen transfer into a snap lock bag, push air out and freeze. This way they don’t stick to each other.
- Asparagus, Broad bean and spaghetti
- Chicken & Broad Bean Penne
Asparagus, Broad bean and spaghetti
- 6 Fresh asparagus,
- Spaghetti, packet
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- Handful broad beans, prepared and cooked
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 lemon, juice
- 2 tsp lemon thyme, chopped
- [b]Preparation of Broad Beans:[/b]
- Note: This week they are young you can eat the POD & Beans.
- The fresh beans this week are hidden inside large green pods. These are young so no need to peel beans. First open the pods and extract the beans. (Usually you need to peel them). Blanch them for a couple of minutes in water or stock.
- Prepare the asparagus by only chopping a little of the end off and cut into 4cm lengths. Prepare by steaming until tender (not to much).
- Cook spaghetti, drain.
- Then in a fry pan heat oil, sweat garlic and onion together adding in zucchini then asparagus. Add some vegetable stock, add broad beans (cooked) and simmer for 3 minutes. Add in cooked spaghetti and combine ingredients. Turn off heat and add lemon and thyme. Serve.
Chicken & Broad Bean Penne
- 1-2 chicken breasts, grilled and shredded
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 500g penne (Harvest Hub)
- Handful broad beans
- 3 tbs Tomato passata
- 1 lemon, juice
- 6 tbs parmesan, finely grated
- Dill, crushed and sprinkled
- Coat chicken in oil, season then grill for 6 minutes each side. Then shred.
- In a saucepan boil the pasta adding in the pre-cooked beans for the final 2 mins, then drain, reserving 150ml of the cooking water.
- The fresh beans this week are hidden inside large green pods. These are young so no need to peel beans. First open the pods and extract the beans. (Usually you need to peel them).
- Shred the cooked chicken and put back into the frypan with the tomato passata, lemon juice, 3 tbs Parmesan and the reserved cooking water. Heat gently, season to taste. Turn off heat and stir in penne. Serve sprinkled with the remaining crushed Dill and serve.