Fresh Ginger is often not used in cooking because many people know it only for Stir fry.
Over 7,000 tonnes are farmed in Australia for Australians so there must be other ways to use this amazing root vegetable.
Week 1602 12 Jan 2106 week – It’s in the Veature Veg section, at $12.99 per kg. Save up to 52% compared with supermarkets. (Note: in Coles, ginger is $27/kg and in Harris Farm, it’s $19.29/kg)
- Ginger has many health benefits, but the main ones are:
- Ginger helps reduce inflammation. This has a few powerful effects, in particular in alleviating Osteoarthritis – a common health problem caused by degeneration of the joints in the body, leading to symptoms like joint pain and stiffness. We have heard from several sufferers who drink a daily cup of home-made concentrated ginger tea and whose symptoms have reduced dramatically or even disappeared altogether.
- The reduced inflammation is also thought to:
- Help improve brain function and slow the onset of Alzheimers (by reducing oxidative stress and chronic inflammation of the brain)
- Help prevent pancreatic cancer, breast cancer and ovarian cancer
- Reduce indigestion as well as menstrual pain.
- The easiest way of getting your daily ginger dose is to combine 250g of ginger (peeled and thinly sliced) with 1L of water, 400g of sugar and a pinch of salt in a sauce pan. Bring to the boil and simmer (no lid) for 45-60 minutes until syrup-y. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or freeze as ice cubes for up to 6 months. Mix into a drink by combining 1-2 cubes of ginger syrup with soda, a squeeze of lime juice and some crushed mint. It also goes well with whiskey or rum!
Ok now to cooking. Here are some ideas and you might like to share some of your own on facebook
- Soup bones with marrow
- 1 1/2 kgs beef for stew/or chicken/or tofu
- ½ tbs sliced ginger
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 pkt fine egg noodles
- 2 tbs nuoc mam (fish sauce)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Place the bones, meat, ginger, onions and garlic in 3 to 4 cups water to cover. Cook over low heat till meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Cook the noodles in boiling water till just tender. Drain noodles and strain the meat broth. Add noodles to broth together with nuoc mam and pepper. Chop the meat and marrow and return to broth. Bring to boil, adjust seasonings, and serve. If you can find pea-starch noodles the dish will be more authentic. If using pea starch noodles, cook in boiling water 30 min. let stand another 30 minutes in the same water before draining and adding to the broth.
- 2 salmon steaks
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tbs chopped onion
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine or sherry
- Capers to garnish
- Preheat oven 200C.
- Place steaks side by side in a small ovenproof casserole. Sprinkle with ginger, onion and lemon juice. Pour the soy & wine over them. Cover and bake for 15 minutes or until the fish flakes. To serve, spoon a little of the cooking liquid over each serving. Capers to garnish.