Growers in Sydney Food Bowl
Week 1632 August the 9-13 August.
Winter in Sydney can often mean that local growers have challenges of frost and rain. This means that the Reach to other states becomes important as the season changes. This week in August, week 1632, the Sydney Basin Growers have managed some great produce.
Reducing food Miles
Reducing Food Miles (the distance from the farm to plate) is important in protecting not only our environment but also showing support for our local growers and so in turn our Food Security.
Mini Eggplant from Paul Calluja in Wallacia, This is only 1 hour from where you live!
Paul grows Jerusalem artichokes (new season starts April!), zucchini, capsicum and eggplant on his farm near Warragamba dam, west of Wallacia.
These mini eggplants are ideal for curries ad stir-fries because they stay relatively firm.
Eggplant is among the healthiest vegetables around: they’re low on calories but high on antioxidants – in particular an anthocyanin phytonutrient found in eggplant skin called nasunin.
This antioxidant helps prevent cancer, has antibacterial and antiviral properties, and helps reduce bad (LDL) cholesterol.
Baby Eggplant finger Food
Baby eggplant finger food
Author: Harvest Hub
Recipe type: Finger Food
- Baby eggplants
- Olive oil
- Cheese such as Pecorino Romano (salty Italian cheese)
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Slice the baby eggplants in half lengthwise. Put them in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for ten minutes.
- Brush a little olive oil and set under the grill to caramelize on top.
- Serve with sea salt and a sauce such as I checked on them. Perfect timing! I then brushed a little more olive oil on top and set the broiler on high for 2 minutes to get a little more carmelization on the top. Serve a quick sprinkling of sea salt, a spoonful of chopped parsley and freshly grated Pecorino Romano.
- Alternate sauces are pesto with chopped parsely, roasted pinenuts and shaved parmesan. Also diced tomatoes with garlic Tzaziki and fresh dill.
Flying saucers or Eggplant patties
Eggplant Patties or Flying saucers
Author: Harvest Hub
Recipe type: Easy eating
- 1 cup eggplant
- ¾ cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs flour
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- dash red pepper sauce (or bolognese sauce)
- 2 tbs grated onion
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Dice eggplant then steam for 10 minutes. Drain. Cook ¾ cup white or brown rice. In a mixing bowl add all ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour. Scoop a spoon of mix and form into patties.
- Heat oil in a fry pan. Drop patties into pan and cook until crispy brown on both sides.