Mini Eggplant from Paul Calluja in Wallacia, This is only 1 hour from where you live!
These mini eggplants are ideal for curries ad stir-fries because they stay relatively firm.
Eggplant is among the healthiest vegetables around: they’re low on calories but high on antioxidants – in particular an anthocyanin phytonutrient found in eggplant skin called nasunin.
This antioxidant helps prevent cancer, has antibacterial and antiviral properties, and helps reduce bad (LDL) cholesterol.
Baby Eggplant finger Food
- Baby eggplants
- Olive oil
- Cheese such as Pecorino Romano (salty Italian cheese)
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Slice the baby eggplants in half lengthwise. Put them in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for ten minutes.
- Brush a little olive oil and set under the grill to caramelize on top.
- Serve with sea salt and a sauce such as I checked on them. Perfect timing! I then brushed a little more olive oil on top and set the broiler on high for 2 minutes to get a little more carmelization on the top. Serve a quick sprinkling of sea salt, a spoonful of chopped parsley and freshly grated Pecorino Romano.
- Alternate sauces are pesto with chopped parsely, roasted pinenuts and shaved parmesan. Also diced tomatoes with garlic Tzaziki and fresh dill.
Flying saucers or Eggplant patties
- 1 cup eggplant
- 3/4 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- dash red pepper sauce (or bolognese sauce)
- 2 tbs grated onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Dice eggplant then steam for 10 minutes. Drain. Cook 3/4 cup white or brown rice. In a mixing bowl add all ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour. Scoop a spoon of mix and form into patties.
- Heat oil in a fry pan. Drop patties into pan and cook until crispy brown on both sides.