Broccoli loves growing in the cooler season, likes to be well watered in the morning, slow deep soaking, to avoid leaf sun scorching, and will grow deep roots if well watered and lots of fertiliser as it is a heavy feeder. Rotating your crop is important to do each year for both the soil and the crop success.
Keep the caterpillars, aphids slugs off by encouraging good insects into the garden. An Insect Hotel is the way to go as it provides the right habitat for beneficial insects such as bees, lady birds which love aphids, spiders and of course this will bring in the birds that love the bugs.
Apple, Broccoli , cucumber & fruit salad
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 lebanese cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup of boiled lima beans, (tinned if preferred)
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets, steamed lightly
- 2 tbsp shallots, the lot chopped
- 1 orange, peeled & segmented,
- A herb such as coriander or mint or parsley chopped
- For the dressing:
- 1 1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbs honey
- few toasted walnuts, crushed
- In a bowl place all the dressing ingredients and combine.
- Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl and add dressing. Toss well. Serve.