What’s involved in setting up an Avocado Nursery?
At Wherrol Flat Farm ….
Did you know that no Avocados ripen on trees? It’s actually the harvesting (picking) action that triggers the ripening process! The Hass avocadoes have a rough skin but a creamy texture. As the Hass ripens, its skin goes from green to a dark purple. Before cutting, make sure they have plenty of ‘give’ when pressed: an unripe avocado is pretty tasteless and they have difficulty ripening in winter.
There is no quicker way to ripen Avocados. A natural fruit requires a natural process. So, pop them into a paper bag with an apple or banana in the bag accelerates the process, as these fruits give off ethylene gas – a ripening agent and store at room temperature until ready to eat. This will usually take two to five days. Once ripened the ripe fruit can be refrigerated until eaten, however, not for more than two or three days.
TIP: If only using one half leave the stone in the unused half, this helps prevent it going brown. Use avocado as a cholesterol-free alternative to butter or margarine, or make a tasty Guacamole dip by mixing avocado with Spanish onion, tomato, garlic, chopped chilli, lime juice and salt & pepper.
- Easy Guacamole
- Warm Avocado soup
- Avocado Dip
- Avocado Mashed Potatoes
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse
Avocado How to ripen
- 1 ripe avocados
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, chopped (if not want hot remove peppers)
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small tomato
- 1 tbsp lime juice (or juice of 1 fresh lime)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel avocados and remove the pit (see below for a great idea on how to use the pits). Peel and mince the onion and the garlic.
- Chop the tomato. Slice the Jalapeno in two and take out any seeds. Then chop.Mash the avocado in a bowl and then stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Serve cold with tortillas or corn chips.
- Serve warm with corn chips, guacamole on top and cheddar cheese melted under grill – just quickly though.
Warm Avocado soup
- 2 ripe avocados, mashed
- lemon juice
- 1 tbs butter
- 1tbs flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups milk
- A dash of Tabasco sauce (optional) or red chilli flakes
- Garnish with diced tofu, bacon and chopped parsley
- Peel, stone and mash the avocados, adding a little lemon juice to stop them from going brown.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan then stir in flour to make a paste. Add the chicken stock a little at a time and always stirring to keep the paste smooth. Add milk and stir then the avocado and season with salt, pepper and Tabasco. Do not boil as the avocado will taste bitter.
- If you wish to cool slightly and finish with a hand mixer to make the soup smooth then serve with garnish.
- 1 avocado
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp ground chilli powder
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Mash the avocado and eggs. Add the onion, garlic, seasonings and lemon juice. Serve with bread.
Avocado Mashed Potatoes
- 2 medium avocados
- 4- 5 potatoes
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 dash lemon juice
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- Peel and quarter the potatoes, then wash them thoroughly. Place the potatoes in a large pot with enough cold, salted water to cover them. Meanwhile, prepare the avocados, making sure to remove any brown flesh. Scoop into a bowl and stir until smooth with lemon juice.
- Place milk in the microwave until melted and warm. When potatoes are fork tender, mash them in a large bowl or a stand mixer, slowly adding the milk and butter spread mixture. When potatoes are mashed to your liking, gently fold in avocado mixture gently, or in a stand mixer – use the lowest setting. Keep warm and serve!
Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- 340g good-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 large, ripe Hass avocado, pitted and peeled
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 6 egg whites
- Melt the chocolate with the cinnamon and chili powder in a double boiler over hot water and set aside.
- Puree the avocado and brown sugar in a food processor until smooth. With the machine running, pour in the chocolate mixture. Using a stand mixer or whisk, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites.
- Pour the mousse into 6 small serving bowls or wineglasses and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or, covered, overnight.